The B-18 was a twin engine heavy bomber first delivered to US forces in 1937. Although it was a recent design the B-18 quickly became obsolete with the entry of the United States into WW II.
In 1941 many of the B-18 bombers were converted to anti-submarine patrol aircraft.
The B-18 carried a payload of up to 4,000 lbs. Defensive armament was just three .30 caliber machine guns, one each in the nose, ventral, and dorsal positions. About 340 B-18 bombers were built.
122 were converted to the anti-submarine role in 1941.
B-18 information taken from The Encyclopedia of the World’s Combat Aircraft, edited by Iain Parson, published by Chartwell Books Inc, New York, 1976.
Back to main page
Back to 80th Bomb Squadron Page